I am eager to support you, your teen, and your family. Please let me know if you have any questions about our Youth Ministry program or if there is any way I can assist or pray for you.
Director of Youth and Young Adult Ministry
Reminder: On Wednesday we offer Adoration in the Church from 7 to 8 p.m. All ages are welcome to join us for ADORE!
Register today for the 2018-2019 Confirmation Program!
Download the 2018-19 First Year Registration forms.
Download the 2018-19 Second Year Registration forms.
Please complete and sign these registration forms and return to St. Francis de Sales Ministry as soon as possible and no later than August 24, 2018.
*Second year registration includes a retreat preference. Retreats are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
The Confirmation Program at St. Francis de Sales Parish is a two-year formation process that typically begins during the teen’s freshman year in high school.
We will be following the Chosen program, within our Life Teen Youth Ministry experience, which uses a variety of speakers to introduce content and create topics for discussion. Throughout the sessions together, the teens will be invited to ask questions and then spend time discussing the answers. Some of the first questions discussed will be: Why am I here? What makes me happy? What’s your story God? How do I know God is real? Who is Jesus?
Ultimately we desire to help each person know Jesus, share your awareness of Jesus, find new ways that He is relevant to your everyday life, and to listen and learn as a disciple. We want the teens and everyone to know that God created you, He loves you, and He will never ignore or forget you. He desires that you know He is always with you. This awareness can help us all be more truly joyful and can also revitalize our lives and our families.
Please note that the session times have been changed for this upcoming year. Teens will gather at the Ministry Center at 3:15 p.m. on Sundays. The teens will then walk over to the Church before Mass and will be dismissed after Mass. We do expect and encourage the parents to join us at these 5 p.m. Masses, which will be specifically planned for the teens and the recent topics of discussion.
The involvement of the parents is extremely important to the faith journey of these teens. Sharing your faith with your teen is one of the most important ways you can support your teen as they contemplate who God is and how He is relevant in their life. Whether this is a new idea or something you’ve already been doing, we would like to help you and your teens have more of these important conversations.
All parents need to join us for an important opportunity to gather together as we all grow on our spiritual journey and help guide our teens on their journey.
• 1st year parents will gather in the Church on Tuesday, September 11 from 7 to 8:15 p.m. or Thursday, September 13 from 7 to 8:15 p.m.
• 2nd year parents will gather in the Church on Tuesday, August 28 from 7 to 8:15 p.m. or Thursday, August 30 from 7 to 8:15 p.m.
1st Year Confirmation:
• Teens will be placed in small groups and will journey through the two years together. The teens will meet in small groups from 3:15 to 4:45 p.m. and then attend Sunday Mass from 5 to 6:15 p.m. Parents should also attend this Mass.
• Retreat Experience - The teens will attend Holy Fire Event hosted by the Archdiocese of Chicago on Saturday, October 27. This event will include dynamic speakers and great music and is designed to engage with teens in relevant and powerful ways. Mass will be celebrated by Cardinal Cupich.
1st Year Small Group Sessions: September 23, 2018; October 21, 2018; October 27, 2018 (Holy Fire Retreat Day); November 18, 2018; December 9, 2018; January 6, 2019; February 17, 2019; March 10, 2019; April 7, 2019; April 28, 2019.
*Permission forms for the 1st year Holy Fire retreat day will be distributed at a later date. There will be a $45 fee for this event.
2nd Year Confirmation:
• The teens will meet in small groups from 3:15 to 4:45 p.m. and then attend Sunday Mass from 5 to 6:15 p.m. Parents should also attend this Mass.
• Retreat Experience - The teens will attend an engaging retreat which is led by high school juniors and seniors. Our "Castle" retreat is often a catalyst for teens to desire to grow in a relationship with Jesus and to deeper their faith. This retreat is an interactive and fun way for your teen to see where Jesus is relevant in their life and to grow in their relationship with Jesus. During our retreats, many of the high school leaders share witness talks and the teens participate in games, prayer and personal reflection, small group discussion, and large group activities. The weekend concludes with Mass at St. Francis de Sales. Please submit your retreat choice on the form included above.
2nd Year Small Group Sessions: September 9, 2018; October 14, 2018; November 4, 2018; December 2, 2018; January 13, 2019; January 27, 2019; February 10, 2019; March 3, 2019; March 17, 2019; Saturday, April 13, 2019 (Confirmation Day).
The Confirmation program will begin with small group discussion and will conclude with a Life Teen Mass. Throughout the two year program we will work to help the teens encounter Jesus in the Mass and help them to be led to a fully conscious, and active participation in liturgical celebrations. This will involve a heart as well as a head knowledge of Jesus Christ and His Church.
Teens are also encouraged to serve the Mass in a variety of ways including as altar servers, ushers, musicians and vocalists. They may also choose to be trained as Lectors and Extraordinary Ministers of the Eucharist. At the Life Teen Mass, teens, their families, and other parishioners experience the depth of God’s love through the Word, the community, and the Eucharist. Quality music and preaching that is geared towards the teens help the Mass come alive. We encourage families and all parishioners to join us in worship.
Small Group Discussion Sessions
Through their small group discussion sessions, teens are given the opportunity ask, discuss and even wrestle with their questions. It is our goal to create an atmosphere where the teens can share their faith journey and their relationship with Jesus.
Choosing a Confirmation Name
As a candidate for the celebration of the Sacrament of Confirmation, you must pick a saint's name to be placed after your present middle name and before your last name. The saint's name you choose symbolizes a new beginning in your faith life as well as a connection with that particular saint. For more information about choosing a name, please download our Choosing a Confirmation Name Resource Page. For a list of websites that may help you decide on a name, please visit our Youth Ministry Resources page.
Download our Teen Rosary and Reflections CD! Praying the Rosary is a powerful and inspirational Catholic tradition. The CD includes prayerful reflections written and inspired by teens in the St. Francis de Sales Confirmation program. To download the CD, click here.